Monday 23 April 2007

Some South Coast Fungi




As I mentioned in my last post I recently bought myself a digital camera. Whilst trying to work out all its functions and the best way to use them, I decided to focus on taking images of some of the local fungal flora I've come across (they don't move and you can get nice and close without scaring them).

The world of fungi is a mysterious and fascinating one due to the sheer diversity of species. Many people think of fungi as plants and whilst it is true that fungi share many similarities, they are differ from plants because they are heterotrophs and rely on external sources for their nourishment. Plants on the other hand are able to produce their own food through the process of photo synthesis. The ways in which various fungi reproduce is also unique and a branch of biology that is still poorly understood. Whilst fungi aren't plants, many species live in a close symbiotic relationship with plants and are unable to survive without them. The converse is also true in many instances, with plants relying on fungal mycorrhiza in the soil to break down nutrients and supply them to the roots. Phosphorous is one element in particular that plants take up this way. Fungi can also help protect the plant from disease and pathogens. Not all relationships are mutualistic, as some fungi are parasites and cause minor or severe damage to their host. Many other species live on dead and decaying vegetable matter and, along with bacteria, are the most important organisms involved in decomposition of dead plant material.

Most of the following images were all taken in fairly close proximity to one another on an area of bushland around 70 acres in size. I have been able to make a positive ID on some of the species, others I have narrowed done to a particular genus, whilst with others, your guess is as good as mine. If I have made any errors or if you can help me identify a particular specimen, I will gratefully welcome any comments.




Unknown sp.




Gymnopilus junonius





Omphalotus Nidiformis.
It has the trait of bioluminecence and soon I
hope to capture an image of it glowing.




Unknown Bolete





Unknown sp.





Aseroe rubra
This is one of the stinkhorns, which truly
live up to their common name.
They emit a foul odour that attracts insects,
which help the fungus spread its spores.





Austroboletus sp.




Unknown Amanita sp.



Gymnopilus junonius




I plan to post about some of the various groups in more detail shortly as I become more educated in the magical world of these wonderful organisms. There is so much to learn just to have a minor and basic knowledge of the life of fungi.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi Peter,

congratulations on getting your blog up and running.

You certainly are doing well with your new camera. I have enjoyed your nature pictures both here and on Scribbly Gum.

Now that you have the fungi bug, you will forever be wandering around bumping into bushes and falling over logs as your eyes are glued to the ground searching for these weird and wonderful things.

And let me tell you from an amateur that knows: the more you know, the more questions you will have, and the more frustrated you will become.

Have fun :)

Cheers
Gaye

Pete said...

Thanks for the words of encouragement Gaye. I've been a bit slack in me blogging efforts recently as you know, too easily side-tracked into other things when turn I on the 'puter. I have also been spending a fair bit of my spare time trying to come to terms with the operation of my camera so I can post some images to hopefully add some more interest to this blog.

I agree with fungi observing being a bug. I started photographing them simply because they were there and because it gives me time to mess with the settings on my camera (Fungi don't run away LOL). The camera gives you the ability to see detail and structure that you'd normally miss with a more casual observation. Mycology is certainly a very different branch of biology to anything else. The way that fungi get their nutrition or sexually reproduce is quite bizarre when compared to plants and animals. I really do enjoy the detective work involved in trying to identify a species, so much harder than traditional botany and something I'd imagine I'll never have much more than a basic knowledge of. I'm not sure whether I will ever create a blog purely based on fungi, or whether I'll just post the odd topic on them here as material and information becomes available to me.

Thanks once again for taking the time to visit and comment

Cheers
Peter